[OLPC Networking] Testing the Wireless driver changes

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Fri Jan 18 10:33:48 EST 2008

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote on 01/18/2008 10:08:09 AM:

> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 08:36 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 19:16 -0500, Giannis Galanis wrote:
> > > It must be noted that the important issue of this discussion is
> how to have
> > > the radio blocked from BEFORE the XO boots, so as not to be
> conflicting with
> > > the airline regulations.
> >
> > We should change the firmware so that it isn't active automatically as
> > soon as it's loaded -- let the driver activate it when it's
appropriate.
> > Then the decision as to whether the radio is blocked can properly be
> > handled in userspace, and the device can be left quiescent if
> > appropriate.
>
> Yes.  The active antennas firmware would need to be slightly altered to
> start on firmware boot, but the normal XO firmware should certainly be
> radio-off-until-driver-enabled (by setting IFF_UP or device open).

So let's alter a fundamental design principle so that the XO doesn't
transmit a single frame when riding an airplane... ??

I don't think so. If people feel so strong about this they can always
block firmware loading.
Mesh forwarding will go on when you initialize the adapter and it is up to
the user to turn it off if they feel that they have too.

M.