[OLPC Networking] Testing the Wireless driver changes

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Thu Jan 17 13:30:08 EST 2008

Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote on 01/17/2008 12:55:47 PM:

> > When it comes to our radio - we *designed it* to start forward frames
> > soon after you initialize it and keep doing it regardless of what the
> > host interface does.
>
> In the context of making the radio safe to use on airplanes...
>
> Does the firmware turn the radio on at boot time?
>
> Does your "initialize" above mean firmware level or OS level?

Initialize means loading the wireless firmware on the radio's ARM core and
start running it.

If you want to make sure that the radio never transmits a single bit, then
preventing that (loading the wireless firmware) is what you need right
now. There is explicit  mesh start/stop in the plans (already implemented
in the firmware but not in place yet since the driver people didn't like
it).

M.