[OLPC Networking] Issues with the wireless mesh devices

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Fri Feb 29 00:05:41 EST 2008

Is this the correct forum to post questions around the wireless mesh devices?

I took an XO to a community wireless[1] monthly meeting this week.
We had a number of problems with other wireless devices, we believe
directly related, to the XO being turned on, then stopped when the
XO was turned off.

I purchased some kit the same as in the APs that we use and hope to
either confirm or discount the XO as the culprit. The network admin
guys are quiet concerned about the DDOS possibilities.

The access point is a Alix router board with a pair Atheros wireless
minipci NICs. Here is a snippet from the log on the host;

> ath1: device timeout
> ath1: hardware error; resetting
> ath1: 0x00000020 0x00000000 0x00000000, 0x48000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
> ath1: ath_reset: unable to reset hardware; hal status 3
> ath1: device timeout
> ath1: hardware error; resetting
> ath1: 0x00000020 0x00000000 0x00000000, 0x60000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
> ath1: ath_reset: unable to reset hardware; hal status 3

It appears that both Atheros NICs went awol at the same time and the AP/router
needed to be hard reset/power cycled.

Are there any tools that I can use to determine whats going on here?
I noticed there was a wireshark patch is that for the XO itself?

I've asked the netadmins for the APs for as much info as they can give us.
So hopefully we can resolve this sooner rather than later =)

regards,

Kim
--
[1] www.air-stream.org