[OLPC Networking] Wireless Recommendations (Ricardo Carrano)

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Fri Aug 8 15:33:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>> Hi Ricardo,
>>
>> Interesting page with some great ideas. A few comments and questions
>> after a quick read through.
>
> Not for the high priority project list:
> One connectivity model that could be considered is a
> disconnected model.  I think of it as a dial up
> on demand uucico model,  uucico for short.
>
> In reading some of the reports from the field some school
> situations are very disconnected from the internet.  Because
> of this distance from the internet it may make sense to
> dust off the classic uucico tools for some areas.
>
> One possible solution is a wireless equipped postal van that can
> make the equivalent of a uucico connection and collect+deliver
> mail and files.  The truck/van could store and later forward
> messages up and down the mail route with a simple lunch stop.  A
> visitor could open his XO/laptop and deliver updates and lessons...
>
> If this makes sense for the very disconnected schools then it
> makes sense for the network tools to facilitate it by design.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Mitchell

Tom,

The subject of DTN (Delay or Disruption Tolerant Networks) are now
perceived as increasingly important and I am sure that, in many
deployments, technologies emerging from this research and efforts will
be very useful.

It seems that we have another category of recommendations, or another
page, which deals with the school connectivity. So, that would split
the deployment recommendations into two categories:

- The backhaul (or external) connectivity - the school connecting to
the Internet
- The wireless (or internal) connectivity - the school wireless infrastructure

Comments?

Cheers!
Ricardo