[OLPC Networking] [Server-devel] RSSI value questions

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Apr 7 11:08:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 17:05 -0400, John Watlington wrote:

> At 2.4 GHz, the interference between multiple paths makes
> signal level measurement pretty useless for determining position.
> If you do this to a number of spatially distributed access points,
> you can improve the estimate...   This is how the Bluetooth Location
> service works...

Actually, you can do a decent idea of location based on signal strength
*iff* you have a lot of *known* receiving stations and lots of *known*
measurements.  Jamey Hicks and Andy Christian at HP's CRL (our lab that
got shutdown upstairs), were able to do quite decently.

But I don't think it is remotely practical for our use.
                                     - Jim

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child