[OLPC Networking] [Server-devel] RSSI value questions

Ryan Crawford Comeaux crawford.comeaux at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 21:44:40 EDT 2008

I'm not very concerned about FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) being spread
by providers of a competing operating system.  The inclusion of GPS data
into the system would be purely optional and currently and the XOs do not
have GPS capabilities.  A software implementation COULD be put in the system
that would contact a server that uses the XO's IP to identify the country
and possibly the city a machine is connecting from, but since the software
is open-sourced, it would be easy to remove from the system.
Regardless of all this, what I'm proposing is also completely optional an
available for anyone to use if they so choose.  My application would not be
contacting systems outside of the network that the machines are running on,
so any worries concerning privacy and control would be meaningless.

Thanks for your concern, though, and I appreciate any suggestions you may
have that would comfort people's fears concerning privacy, especially when
it comes to the program's use outside of the US.

- Crawford