[OLPC Networking] Wireless porting

Alex Gibson agibson at eng.uts.edu.au
Fri Oct 12 21:04:12 EDT 2007

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> Thanks! The irony is that I only did the sugar activity to showcase my
> algorithm, not to design a new neighborhood interface. Actual face
> pictures are another add-on I have in mind (we do have a camera
> available ;-)). Walter Bender also suggested customized XO icons that
> look bored, happy, sleepy... you get the idea.
>
> For the porting part, I would like to have the driver on ARM
> processor. I think it makes sense for portable devices to be able to
> communicate with XOs over the mesh.
>
> Pol
>

> Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>>
>> very interested over here as well...
>> Would it be out of the way to post the original proposal?
>>

>> BTW - on a side note: polychronis: great work with the mesh view!
>> Simon Dorner mentioned that having small faces of the kids in the
>> mesh view would be even better.
>> Humans tend to remember faces much better than "Xo" signs with
>> different colors.
>>
>> best,
>> aaron.
>>

>> On Oct 13, 2007, at 1:12 AM, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What platform do you plan to port the driver to?
>>>
>>> Pol

The proposal was to port the proprietary marvell driver/firmware that is
based on the threadx kernel
to opensource using either ecos or freertos for the kernel.

Proposal didn't contain technical details, more on why UTS Engineering
should be considered etc.
A couple of the senior people here(UTS Engineering) tried to talk with
the local marvell rep back in December/January
and were completely ignored.

We were trying to get NDA's so we could get access to the datasheets.

Alex