[OLPC Networking] Mesh multicast support

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Mon Jan 22 10:46:00 EST 2007

> (also, we would want to make sure the network card is
> filtering out multicast traffic the host doesn't want so the
> CPU doesn't need to process data it doesn't need

<KS>
	Yep, very relevant. More so, because the Marvell chip would be
doing the mesh routing even when the power is off !

	Again, we need to dig deeper and possibly need application level
interfaces to control this. We, as in the routing protocols realm, might
not be able to make that determination, unless there are some
declarative policies, which guide us as to what multicast packets need
to be ignored.

	BTW, from your earlier e-mail,
</KS>
> there are existing protocols in place for sets of switches etc only to
forward
> multicast down the ports they are asked for on.
<KS>
	This really mightn't apply here because the switches/routers are
not in the multicast path (or even be aware of it !). Of course, when
the domains are connected thru a switch/router, there might be some
visibility into the multicast traffic - hard to tell.
</KS>