[OLPC Networking] An AP-like XO ?

Hilton Garcia Fernandes hgfernan at lsi.usp.br
Fri Aug 3 17:42:15 EDT 2007

Hi, Michael.

thanks for the enligthening, informative and thought provoking answer. for
instance, i failed to notice the Wireless Repeater pages.

now think of a school with not all class rooms filled with XO laptops.

in the general case, it will be necessary to have a more powerful device
to connect the XOs to the school network, and then to the Internet. that
kind of device will be in the class rooms or school corridors and will
provide the neighbor XOs with the desired connectivity.

that device usually will be a conventional 802.11g AP, since 802.11s cards
are not widely available now. due to 802.11 infrastructured mode, the AP
will create a NAT for its clients, and due to the hypothesis above, the
client of an AP will have no way to see directly the clients of other APs.

in the general case, the school will be an archipelago of AP-centered
islands.  and that is not good for many of modern teaching techniques the
XO will offer.

so, the idea would be to use an AP-like device that joins the mesh and
lets all XOs talk with each other, without isolating them in islands.

if we use XOs for APs, the additional advantage will be that no wireline
structure will be necessary to connect each AP to the school network, as
they will connect to each other, due to mesh.

so, this kind of architecture requires only power outlets, that will be
already available, due to the illumination. and not network outlets, that
in general will be not available.

All the best,
hilton

--
Hilton Garcia Fernandes
Nucleo de Tecnologias sem Fio (NTSF) -- Wireless Technologies Team