[OLPC Networking] An AP-like XO ?

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:58:01 EDT 2007

Hilton,

On 8/2/07, Hilton Garcia Fernandes <hgfernan at lsi.usp.br> wrote:

> i heard some talk about a server, but not much about the structure of an
> AP-like XO, that probably could be called the MPP.

It might be useful to clarify what use case you are trying to solve as I
think you might be thinking of one that does not  directly  blend with an
MPP.  On the other hand, I may just be misunderstanding you.

the pages i can read usually describe the MPP as a normal XO with some
> packages installed, but it would be nice to elaborate on the architecture
> of an AP-like XO.

Realize that an MPP--that is, an XO acting as a Mesh Port--is still just an
XO. The differences are purely configuration-  and not hardware-related.

for instance, it won't be a mobile device anymore, since
> it would be pluged to a wall outlet.

This is not necessarily so. Modern builds automatically act as a Mesh
Portal. So as long as an XO is connected to an infrastructure AP or has an
ethernet connected via USB dongle, it will provide a wireless portal to
other XOs through the mesh [1].

it could have more powerful antennas to say the least.

This is a different use than an MPP. For instance, something like the
Wireless Repeater [2] might be something more to your thought process. The
Wireless Repeater is a dummy device that extends the range of the wireless
network in a stationary place. It has a solar panel and larger antennas. The
active antennae that Jim mentioned is also an option, where it (essentially)
aligns it self on a pivot spot for best wireless connectivity sharing.
Pretty neat stuff.

The Repeater and the Active Antenna are not going to be available at FRS,
that is, first ship of the XOs. They are shortly thereafter peripherals (as
I understand it).

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Establishing_a_Mesh_Portal
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless_repeater

--