[OLPC Networking] Mesh network?

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Wed Sep 6 17:03:33 EDT 2006

As usual, excellent questions & insights. Actually these need to go in
the Wiki.

a)    802.11s support (hardware and device drivers) will be built by
Marvell

b)    I haven't had the exposure to see if it will support 802.11(a/b/g)
as well. We also need to check if the modes can be switched without a
reset.

c)    Things like multiple heterogeneous connections are the "magic", to
happen in the OLPC version of the network manager

d)    Load balancing across multiple heterogeneous connections is a good
idea, am not sure it can be done even now.

e)    Most probably the laptops will support infrastructure 802.11g as
well as ad-hoc mode, but not simultaneously to act as a rely.

f)	Naturally, the first version will have constrained capabilities,
which will improve as we understand more about the
topology/interference/power requirements and their interactions in the
OLPC scenario i.e. the software that runs on the network substrate.

g)	Many of the mesh features and network protocol switching will be
controllable by software; thus leaving the hardware/firmware/drivers to
optimize to the max, under normal circumstances.

<soap_box>
	We cannot add networking features with reckless abandonment, as
we are constrained by power and maximize functionality with minimum
power. Hence many cautionary e-mails, on the protocols, message
exchanges et al.
</soap_box>

All in all, exciting times are ahead !

Cheers