[OLPC Networking] Mesh network?

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 16:23:42 EDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Richard Dietrich <richard at praxis-uk.com> wrote:

> I think you have misunderstood.. what if there is no connection to the
> internet even for the first laptop?

I think at the most basic level, a handful of laptops in the Sahara (or any
sufficiently remote area free of Internet conneciton) should be fully
networkable onto themselves. This is the nature of having a mesh networkable
device. Requirements therein include basic path discovery, network
connectivity of the LAN (in a loose term, given the range of wireless
antennae and the geographical nature of deployments), and routing/middleman
assistance for multi-hop connections (A node talks to C node via B node, due
to geographical distance). So basic p2p applications will all function as-is
free of a Internet connection. The addition of an Internet connection should
not be mandatory in any way.

Does that address what you want, or did I misunderstand?

Michael Burns
Network Engineering
Oregon State University