[OLPC Networking] Re: Networking Digest, Vol 8, Issue 4

Roland Sassen (using mozilla) sassen at thinsia.com
Sun Oct 22 14:17:30 EDT 2006

1. Re: server based computing (MBurns)

> On 10/10/06, Roland Sassen (using mozilla) <sassen at thinsia.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hello, I would suggest to use thin client technology, as is chosen by 52
>> primary
>>  schools in the Netherlands for their 14000 children.
>>

> Thin clients are a great idea, but only for certain situations. The
> Laptop's main network will be a relatively low bandwidth and high
> latency networks. Lower bandwidth will be from the shared medium mesh
> along with the better range of wireless signal at slower speeds. High
> latency comes from the multi-hop nature of the mesh.
>
> Now, while thin clients are neat, they suffer greatly in either
> environment. To have a responsive application, you need low latency
> access to the hosting server (for transmissions of screen refreshes
> and input). FreeNX or similar technology could be used to compensate
> for the limited bandwidth usage (if not straight X forwarding) but the
> mesh network would be havoc for applications that were being hosted
> remotely.

Thin clients do not suffer in environments with low bandwidth and high
latency, they are made for this kind of environments. Thin, of thin
client means that a low bandwidth is enough (10K per user). Latency can
rise to 290 ms providing an excellent user experience. Of course x11 is
not useful here, but the other protocols, RDP, ALP and AIP work perfectly!

For the Internet connection, the Inveneo <http://www.adventnet.com/>
Solution will be very good for this project.

> Also consider that the topology of the network is inherently dynamic.
> Access to a central server (presumably the School's server) is not
> guaranteed or even expected for off hours use, and a design goal of
> the Laptop is to be usable by a child in a field under a tree,
> independent of any other technology. This scenario is impossible with
> true thin client use.

I think the design goal has nothing to do with thin client technology
That this scenario is impossible with thin clients is not true.
You might have missed the first reason to use thin client technology: to
prevent _all security issues with end-point-devices._ You seem not to
have an alternative here yet.

As you can combine thin client technology with local programs run from
EPROM, there is no technical reason not to use server-based computing.
You will even save money, because you do not need a hard-disk.

>>  Most problems are avoided by using this easy, fast and secure technology.
>>
> Sure. If you have the network infrastructure, server systems and
> defined application list that meet the requirements, thin clients can
> be an astoundingly appealing idea. Music, video or high-demand and
> system intense software does not run well under this model, generally,
> but there are always ways to work around particulars.

I do not think you want to provide the people of Africa with on-demand
video yet, I think :-) ?

> So while I think thin clients are an interesting idea, and good for
> certain environments, native applications are a requirement of the
> $100 Laptop.
>

>>  I talked about this in my blog here
>>
> You mention Netware in the blog entry. Novell has begun moving to a
> Linux-based NOS and deprecating their own Netware system [1]. They
> seem to think that Linux is sufficiently reliable, secure and scalable
> for their (quite impressive) e-directory systems.

Michael, this (deprecating) is not true. This might be a speculation of
some people. But it is not true.
Novell will support NetWare for at least until 2015
<http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/21/1537231&tid=18>,
and there is no reason to
deprecate the at the moment best netware operating system in the world.

There is nothing in the Linux operating system what is not implemented
technically better in the NetWare operating system. You can read why
customers with NetWare do not want or need Linux , here
<http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/netware/2006/1016nw2.html>

Of course, the services are more important as the operation system, and
the best file system (NSS) and
the best security system (e-directory) to day come from Novell. And for
NSS supprt Linux is at the moment not ready.

Using thin-client technology you can support your customers with any
system or service, instead of
the Linux lock-in.

For the local programs, without a hard-drive, an interesting option is
the ZOHO suite.

Raju Vegesna of Advenetnet <http://www.adventnet.com/>, maker of the
Zoho <http://www.zoho.com/> suite, said: 10.16.2006

"You can expect a FULL co-operation from Zoho on the one pc a child
initiative. We are willing to provide required Zoho aplications for FREE
for the one pc a child project."

Roland Sassen
http://www.thinsia.com