[OLPC Networking] Firewalling...

Alex Gibson agibson at eng.uts.edu.au
Sun Nov 5 17:08:58 EST 2006

Xavier Alvarez wrote:
> On Saturday 04 November 2006 16:58, MBurns wrote:
> MB> On 11/4/06, Xavier Alvarez <xavi.alvarez at gmail.com> wrote:
> MB> >
> MB> > But on the digital world, how can the teacher ensure that
> MB> > the students are really not disturbed by outside sources?
> MB> > (ie: IMing with the buddy on the next classroom).
> MB> >
> MB> Interesting question. Because of the mesh network,
> MB> inherently, there is no real way to 'turn off'
> MB> collaboration.

Can always unload or disable the driver.

> Collaboration needs connectivity... not the other way around ;)
>
> MB>Indeed, I don't think you'd want to. This is
> MB> not a technical issue, however, it is really a social one. If
> MB> students are disruptive, teachers will have to deal with
> MB> them just as they do with passing notes and whispering.
>

> Mine too... :)
> Kids are too darn smart (until we 'educate' them ;)
>

> MB> > So, has anybody thought about this?
> MB> >
> MB> Maybe. But getting the conversation going in the public is a
> MB> good thing regardless. :)

> I think that the OLPC project should somehow address these issues
> with a more built-in solution, rather than leave each classroom
> work one out (which I mentioned might defeat the purpose of the
> OLPC by taking the kid's laptop away).
>
> My idea was more like creating a sub-network of sorts.  Assuming
> that the teacher also gets a laptop, it could be configured to
> work as an access-point/gateway/firewall and the kid's simply
> connect to it.  Besides taking automatic attendance and other
> administrative tasks, the teacher's laptop could be set up to
> block all outside traffic, or create sub-subnets (MAC ids come to
> mind) so that collaborating workgroups could be created but only
> among themselves, while allowing even one-machine sub-nets (while
> in an exam).

That would I think as well
A separate module or frame work for class room
applications that locks out all other connections than the
local master(or in class) "node".

So when students get into class they select the "master" node
and register in the classroom , which turns off/disables all other comms
until the class is over or the teacher chooses to allow other comms.

Have to make it easy for teachers to run classes as very quickly, the
students will become more computer savvy(knowledgeable) than the
teachers(or most teachers).

If the teachers can not easily control the class , when they use
the laptops, they won't keep using them.

Has anyone talked to any teachers about requirements ?

Rather arrogant on our part to assume things on behalf of
end users / people who are going to have to work with the laptop and
associated systems every day.

Can someone at least talk to or survey  - get some requirements from
some teachers on what they would want for classroom applications and comms.

Alex Gibson

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If