[OLPC Networking] Firewalling...

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 13:56:59 EST 2006

Hi!

Lately I've been trying to imagine how the OLPC would impact on
everyday life at school, and one thing that keeps popping is the
concept of 'closing the door'.

The teacher usually closes the door (and probably windows) in
order to isolate the class from outside interference... in a
physical world, that's natural.

But on the digital world, how can the teacher ensure that the
students are really not disturbed by outside sources? (ie: IMing
with the buddy on the next classroom).

Another related issue is pop-quiz, tests, and other exam situation
where the teacher wants to isolate kids from each other (not just
from 'outside the class').  Or ensure that the kid is not
cheating by doing literally doing copy-paste from the friend at
the other end of the classroom, or even somebody outside the
class?

I agree that the OLPC is all about doing things together and
ubiquitous (sp?) communications... but isolation has a place too.

So, has anybody thought about this?

--
XA
=========