[OLPC Networking] MANET

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Jun 15 11:14:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:47 -0500, Krishna Sankar wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 	Have been reading the mesh networking posts with interest. Some random observations.
>
> 	a)	Like Ivan points out, we should treat the OLPC mesh as a special case of sensor networking, as power awareness would be the main priority. This was my first thought as I was reading thru the archives.
>
> 	b)	There are also time sync algorithms in the sensor networking world that might be applicable - but I do not think we need very accurate, monotonic time.

Actually, we do need good time sync algorithms.

We had a demo of a wonderful music application (called TamTam)
yesterday.

We want the kids to be able to play music together, well synchronized.

We'll get much better synchronization between the machines during a
performance if they have good synchronized clocks than if TamTam tries
to work around the lack of such synchronization, by sending packets,
which will often be delayed in the mesh.
                                      - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child