[OLPC Networking] Re: [olpc-software] "Mesh" Software

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 16:26:24 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 04:08:25PM -0300, Jim Gettys wrote:
> There are routing algorithms being used today in MIT roofnet.  And I
> believe there are several other deployed research systems.

And the Amateur radio community has been doing mostly static radio mesh
networks the size of a country for twenty years or so. Not much on the mobile
front that I know of unfortunately, but the mostly static case is very very
well understood even at very low bandwidth.

> And I know Michail says there are three possibilities; but I haven't
> (yet) tried to understand what they are as yet, or their relationships
> with conventional routing protocols like OSPF.

There is a lot of mobile phone literature in this area, but they mostly deal
with the assumption that only the very end nodes are highly mobile so I'm not
sure how useful it is.