[Nepal] statement regarding FOSS and Nepal's OLPC pilots

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat May 3 08:44:48 EDT 2008

There has been a lot of press regarding OLPC's possible shift to
Windows. I want to make it clear that OLE Nepal is committed to both
Linux and open-source content for Nepal's pilots of OLPC.

We have no intention of ever switching to Windows regardless of what the
OLPC organization in Boston decides. We feel that GNU/Linux is the right
choice for education, whether in the developing world or the first
world.

Further, we are committed to releasing all the content we develop or
help digitally publish under open-source licenses. We will rely on the
MIT license and CC 3.0 licenses. Everything we produce ourselves will
allow derivatives. Unfortunately, some third parties (authors) may
require their contributions in areas such as children's literature have
the No Derivatives clause.

I have been in contact w/ OLPC's current head of technology, Kim Quirk,
and she assures me that OLPC