[Nepal] [Fwd: Fedora-commons-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 20]

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sun Jun 29 03:37:39 EDT 2008

check out what Christian of fez recommends for optimizing our e-pustakalaya
------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:47:30 +1000
From: Christiaan Kortekaas <c.kortekaas at library.uq.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [Fedora-commons-users] nginx  + fedora + fez
To: <fedora-commons-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi Bryan

You might like to use the latest SVN version of Fez (we use it in
production). The performance is a lot better as it has the option of using
Apache Solr for searches/indexing (rather than MySQL fulltext indexing).

See http://fezdemo.library.uq.edu.au for a look at it with 150,000 test
objects - Solr takes it without any problems.

> I don't understand how apache, fez's php, and tomcat play together and
> how fez + fedora serves up static files. Does tomcat get involved in
> serving up static files?

Fez talks SOAP+REST to Fedora and REST-like queries to Solr, so they talk
using webservices.

Cheers,
Christiaan

On 27/06/08 4:53 PM, "Bryan Berry" <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Phil! thanks I may very well ask for your help.
>
> Right now the performance of my fez + fedora server is pretty horrible.
> I am linux sysadmin but new to optimizing web apps and my expereience w/
> Fedora is limited to installing it numerous times.
>
> can you give any recommendations on identifying the performance
> bottlenecks? Right now I only know how to use ab and top
>
> later today I hope to play w/ jmeter, mytop, and whatever else I can
> find.
>
> I don't understand how apache, fez's php, and tomcat play together and
> how fez + fedora serves up static files. Does tomcat get involved in
> serving up static files?
>
> Bryan

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:20:14 -0500
> From: Phil Cryer <phil.cryer at mobot.org>
> Subject: Re: [Fedora-commons-users] nginx with Fedora + fez?
> To: Fedora <fedora-commons-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 20:39 +0545, Bryan Berry wrote:
>> I am thinking about trying nginx w/ my fedora + fez installation.
>> Apache2.2 just dies when I throw a lot of concurrent connections at it.
>> 100+ and I only have 2 GB of RAM on my server
>>
>> I have used nginx before w/ a rails app and been very happy.
>>
>> Does anyone have any advice in this regard? thanks
>
> Bryan
> I'm running nginx on Debian (Lenny), and it proxies requests to Fedora,
> and does all the virtual hosting for the other subdomains on the server.
> I do have Fez installed, but not fully configured yet - I've no doubt
> it'll work fine once I have all of the required software installed, hope
> to have it up tomorrow.
>
> I used Lighttpd as an Apache replacement for years, but moved to nginx
> for all my sites a few months back, I'm a big fan; its low headroom,
> capabilities and active dev community won me over.  I'm happy to help
> with setup/config/whatever, just let me know.
>
> Also, if you're looking at lots of concurrent requests you can use nginx
> as a reverse proxy, or better yet, install Varnish (think of it as a
> newer Squid) to be a caching reverse proxy sitting in front of your
> webserver layer, with load balancing options.

Christiaan Kortekaas
Senior Library Open Sorcerer
Library Technology Service
The University of Queensland, Australia QLD 4072
Telephone : (+61) (7) 3346 4337

Message: 5