[Nepal] [Server-devel] Customizing build 703 for mass deployment

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Apr 22 08:24:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 04:19:33PM +0545, Bryan Berry wrote:
> here is what i have I tried this afternoon
>
> bunzip xo-1....tar.bz2
> mkdir os703
> tar xvf xo-1..tar -C os703/
>
> then
>
> mkfs.jffs2 -n -e128KiB -r os703 -o testpre.img
> sumtool -n -p  -e 128KiB -i testpre.img -o testpost.img
> ../pilgrim/crcimg/crcimg testpost.img
> copyied testpost.img and testpost.crc to my usb key
>
> On the XO:
> copy-nand u:\testpost.img

Looks good so far. Did you run all of the commands above as root?

> /usr/bin/startx/: line 144: cannot create temp file for here document
> : Permission denied
>
> fatal server error: Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

Sounds like /tmp is not writable (or is not writable by uid 500?) - why
could that be? (Answer at your leisure, I know you've got other things
on your mind at the moment. :)

> I don't have any more time to work on this today. Perhaps I can look at
> it next week.

Thanks for trying for me.

> I took a look at Puritan but couldn't figure out how to build it. Again
> time is a constraint.

Understood.

> I have tried to boot the XO from a USB key but couldn't figure it out
> after half a day's work. Perhaps this owes to my own inexperience rather
> than this particular method.

The contents of

 http://dev.laptop.org/~mstone/rescue-action.tar.gz

should get you started on unlocked machines.

> Michael, sorry if I have been rude in my mails. I have been quite
> stressed this week leading up to Friday's launch. I do appreciate your
> help.

I wasn't offended; I understand a little bit of the pressure you're
under. I just wanted to be clear for our mutual audience that other
mechanisms are available to those with the luxury of time in which to
practice.

Michael