[Nepal] to be deployed Epaati version is out!

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 04:38:30 EDT 2008

Well, it took us at OLE Nepal a whole lot of sweat and especially
tears, but finally, after half a year of hard work, we finished the
first build that is actually going to be used by actual Nepali kids,
in an actual classroom setting.

This build, version 10, sports a whopping 47 activities, which is why
it's 105 mb in size. The loading time of individual activities has
also diminished  by quite a bit (sometimes loading is 3 to 4 times as
fast), and memory consumption has been greatly reduced.

And this is just the beginning, because there are a great many much of
activities to be made in the future.

get it here: http://dev.laptop.org/pub/epaati/Epaati-10.xo

For you who never heard about Epaati: it's an activity suite (for now)
geared towards grades 2 and 6 (roughly 8 respectively 12 year old
kids) of the Nepali school system coinciding, not coincidentally,
with the classes which are the focus of our pilot projects. The
subjects covered are Maths and English, and we follow the official
Nepali curriculum so our activities can be integrated seamlessly in
regular sessions.

Which is not to say of course they can not be used by others.
Especially the English activities can be used practically as is by
children with another mother tongue, save for the help text. Also
converting the maths activities should be not a big deal, since not a
lot of Nepali specific text is used, but there are some brambles to be
fished out of the porridge, before we have a smooth mechanism for
translation.

Anyways, have fun with the new and old activities,

/Ties