[Nepal] 24 teachers start OLPC training

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 03:15:09 EDT 2008

I wonder whether there is enough interest to put something together
for all the volunteers. I could certainly do with a guided tour of
both theory and practice. Can somebody figure out how we can discover
Constructionism together on our laptops (with appopriate guidance),
and perhaps set up a jabber server for that purpose? If we could make
it work, we could perhaps offer it to interested people in education,
government, and the general public. Presumably some tailoring to
particular audiences would be needed.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Edward,
>
>  Papert built on the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky. Co-learning,
>  experiential learning - these ideas were pioneered by Piaget and
>  Vygotsky. David Cavallo and Edith Ackermann talked extensively of Piaget
>  and Vygotsky at the OLPC Learning conference I attended in January.

Thanks. My mother majored in Child Development at Chicago, so I got a
fair amount of background while growing up, particularly on Piaget and
Bruner, but I need a lot more detail now.

>  I am particularly a big fan of Vygotsky as I agree with him that
>  learning is fundamentally a social process and that culture plays a
>  large role in our social interactions, hence learning.
>
>  All of our materials are in Nepali. I hope to post them in a publicly
>  accessible place later. Right now we are in a crunch because we start
>  the pilot at Bashuki and Bishwamitra very shortly.

Can we invite some other volunteers to translate them to English, or
can you point to the English sources for the material?

>  "Constructionism" is a broad term that encompasses ideas from many
>  different theorists and many different elements such as:
>
>  social cognition
>  co-learning
>  scaffolding
>  Experiential learning
>

>  The single best resource I have found is this web site:
>
>  http://www.funderstanding.com/engaging_kids.cfm
>
>  and especially this page
>  http://www.funderstanding.com/theories.cfm
>

>  Bipul Gautam wrote a nice, short post about some of Piaget's theories on
>  our blog:
>  http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/200

I'll check them out. Perhaps you would be willing to add them to the
OLPC Wiki page on Constructionism?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/