[Nell] Collaboration on Nell.

Riedl, Mark riedl at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 20 21:55:05 EDT 2012

Hi Scott,

I'm pleased to be back in touch with you. What you describe is similar in some respects to my mobile ARG project (http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~riedl/pubs/ace11.pdf) where I propose end-user content authoring plus some very simple AI support. Well, there is nothing terribly unique in that work that will directly translate to Nell. But I am very interested in the problem of AI augmenting human design of stories and games. My students and I have been thinking hard on whether an AI system can make it possible with someone (say a teacher) to create a complete, functional computer game without any programming or game design skills/experience. This is a very hard problem, and probably more complicated than you would want for OLPC. I think your ideas of good authoring tools augmented by some incremental planning sounds right.

The trick is going to be in the underlying knowledge representations used by the planner. STRIPS-like representations could box users in if they are not rich enough for what users want to express (and brittle to change if one is not an AI expert). Case-based planning could be an interesting alternative, in particular if cases are learned with hierarchical structure similar to that of Universe/Wide-Ruled. A CBP system could in effect learn the hierarchical story fragments by watching end-user authoring. The closest to this I've been able to come up with so far is: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~riedl/pubs/iccbr11.pdf (with my close collaborator Ashwin Ram, who is now at PARC).

Anyway, sorry to brain dump on you and throw all the papers your way. I should be back up in Boston at some point for Jeff Orkin's PHD defense. I'll let you know and maybe we can chat in person. In the meantime, I am happy to continue to brainstorm with you via email, Skype, or G+ hangout.

Regards,
Mark

------
Mark Riedl
Asst. Professor, School of Interactive Computing
Georgia Tech
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~riedl/