[Localization] [IAEP] [SLOBS] Motions to create position of Translation-Community Manager

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:52:39 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> Thanks Lionel for taking time to vote your conscience even despite others
> of us who believe we have a legal/fiduciary obligation to our biggest
> investor (Trip Advisor) and a moral duty to the world's most disconnected
> children.

Lionel - FYI in the past, I positioned Sugar as an aid to protect & promote
minority/indigenous languages; doing what the for-profits would never do. A
key differentiator. The idea was to say that Sugar was translation-ready
for any language, and that a digital experience could be offered to
children in support of a minority language.

Of course, the reality can be quite different. Many parents and teachers
associate IT with majority languages (en/es/fr), and see IT as an excellent
opportunity for children to learn those useful languages. The Madagascar
deployment is a case in point.

If a clear vision and roadmap can be agreed upon, there can be ample
requests for resources in support of marketing (teachers) or recruitment
(developers) or fundraising (donors), and I maintain that translations
should be a central pillar of those initiatives. The EU for example has
many projects in support of its 60 minority languages [1]: "decision-making
in this field [language policy] also falls to education providers, ..."

Sean

1.
http://ec.europa.eu/languages/policy/linguistic-diversity/regional-minority-languages_en.htm