[Localization] [SLOBS] quarterly or semiannual financials/vibrancy/transparency around Sugar Labs' 1st hire

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:52:14 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> [...]
> vote affirming Chris Leonard's (or whoever's!) excellent ongoing work
> during each such emerging cycle.  Clearing bureaucracy out of the way for
> the sake of our legacy -- whether sandwiches are included or not, to
> properly celebrate Chris Leonard's great work every 3-to-6 months.
>
> I have not thought enough about Caryl's proposal, not talked to her to
> even understand it yet, but I am very interested in her suggestion that
> Sugar Labs decide what prompt financial transparency Actually Means -- at
> what granularity, and at what frequency.  Rather than having these core
> pieces decided for us by forces/externalities we regrettably still do not
> understand.  Thank you to Caryl for posed thos central/larger existential
> question that deserves both an immediate answer (if we choose to establish
> Sugar Lab's 1st hire this spring) and a more long-term inner-truth answer:
> how do we in fact regularly and promptly expose/organize finances,
> delivering material no-nonsense community trust, particularly if we expect
> others to do our work for us?
>
> Both the short-term and long-term question need a no-bullshit answer, and
> I hope Caryl who's been thinking about this very carefully can help us
> organize a
> ground-truthed solution.  As the time for blameful bickering is humbly
> over, as our Nigerian friend Mr Goddy gently reminded us today: if we each
> want to leave a legacy of judicious action through compromise -- standing
> up for the team and the principles that brought us together!  If so, this
> will bring Sugar Labs forward as a prominent and very proud player truly
> assisting several indigenous languages this shrinking earth greatly depends
> on... *among many other things ;)*
>

> (*) one possibility might be to add the following:
>
> 1) Translation Community Manager reports to SL Board + Community + Public
> on a fixed preset schedule of (specify quarterly or semiannual) renewable
> contract cycles.
>
> 2) Reports can be of any length and should be posted/archived together to
> a unique URL (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Community_Manager
> ?) one month prior to the completion of each contract cycle, mentioning:
> (a) What actually happened over the current cycle and/or since the last
> report, including financial summary (fine if different from prior cycle's
> projections: we learn by doing!)
> (b) What can and should happen over the coming cycle.
> (c) Long-term strategic recommendations if he/she is hopefully so inclined!
>
> 3) The Board must affirm continuation or renewal of the contract before
> the end of each (quarterly or semiannual, pick one!) cycle.  This last part
> is largely a rubber-stamp, as the expectation is that the contract should
> renew, insofar as funds allow as the translation community strengthens --
> but at the same time it is an absolutely critical check and balance (Dead
> Man's Switch) to keep us each & all conscientiously engaged, accountable,

Adam,

Not sure why you haven't felt that the wiki page was the appropriate place
to add your reporting requirements. Tony has been asking for this input.
>From my POV, while I agree that the contract we draw up for the position
should include the specifics of how we want reporting, I am not sure those
details need to be in the wiki. But you do, so please add them.

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org