[Localization] [IAEP] Translation Manual (in Spanish)

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 09:18:32 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at somosazucar.org> wrote:
> El 25/10/13 07:06, Chris Leonard escribió:
>
> Due to the unfortunate ability of forum-spamming robots to create and
> activate accounts on Pootle, it was necessary to turn off
> self-registration to protect our precious translations.
>
> Our current process is to send an e-mail to cjl at sugarlabs.org with a
> preferred username and an account will be created manually (typically
> within several hours).
>
> cjl
>
> This is very unfortunate. We should strive for a less centralized approach.
> I'm reading that even the old version of pootle supports captchas to combat
> spam bots:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=25729750
>
> Could we try to enable this? If you want, I volunteer to help with pootle
> backend tasks.
> I would need access to the pootle server.

Sadly, "suggestion spam" (addressed by CAPTCHA) is not our real
problem.  The problem is forum-spamming robots that can not only
submit a self-service request for an account, but also reply to the
confirmation e-mail sent out that activates the account.  Once an
account is activated, it has a human level of privs.

> OTOH if you still think the "create account on request" is better, maybe we
> could setup a
> mailing list for this purpose, or even an alias?

The L10n list can serve, new localizers should be joining it anyway.

Nothing would make me happier than to take myself out of the account
creation loop, but on observing the number of dummy accounts being
created (and activated) each day, I reluctantly took the step fo
turning off self-serve registration to protect the integrity of the
precious L10n work.

Sysadmin help to migrate to the desired new Pootle instance is
required and we can follow up on that by private e-mail, I'm jsut not
sure it will address the spam registration issue.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator