[Localization] Wikikids/Vikidia, encyclopedia for children

Mathias Damour mathias.damour at laposte.net
Wed Apr 24 17:05:18 EDT 2013

Le 24/04/2013 22:35, Walter Bender a écrit :
> Up until now, we've been maintaining our own subsets of wikipedia for
> kids in different languages. See [1-n]. +1 to having someone else
> (your team) curating.

Ok, I understand that by "curating" you mean check the content fo
Wikipedia and delete what is not appropriate to children don't you ?

Well indeed, I guess that's a big work !

Actually we can assume that Vikidia in french is already curated, that's
an advantage.
Still, it's much more than a curated Wikipedia, it's a whole content
that is designed to better fit to children aged 8 to 13.

The Wikikids proposal (Wikikids being a working title for it) is
intended to be a Wiki encyclopedia designed for children open to
contributors of any age. It aims both to offer a suitable corpus of
knowledge for children and to let some of them, as well as teenagers
them be involved in building it.

Children tell themselves that they appreciate this content to be more
affordable than the one of Wikipedia (according to what the write on the
guestbook when asked for "what they think about Vikidia" throught the
sitenotice)

As far as Vikidia in french is concern, the work would be (as far as
OLPC is concerned) just to put it on Sugarlabs.

The (bigger) project I tell about is to set a reliable frame to allow
community building, community work to develop this content in language
in which it's still poor or non-existent (Spanich, German, Russian
arabic...)
That's what we work on on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids and on
which I would be glad to have support.

Sure that the work will take some years to offer a substantial in new
language, but that's why we shouldn't delay too much its lauch (or
relaunch in Spanish) !

English is a special case, since there is Simple English Wikipedia.
I guess the process there would be to reuse large amount of its content,
but set a new wiki community.
So that would be more than curating it.

--
Mathias Damour