[Localization] Virtual Keyboard and i18n/l10n

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:49:08 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very excited about the potential for a virtual keyboard on the
> XO-3 to remove silkscreening from the hardware L10n process.

I am also very enthusiastic with the options an OSK brings to the
table. Keep in mind however: at this stage our push is focused on
XO-1.x style clamshell units.

> We have many langs in Pootle without a defined keyboard layout and we
> also have langs without upstreamed glibc locales.

Do you have a criteria of threshold before a lang is actually close
enough to completion that it is worth supporting? A minimum translated
%, or minimum degree of activity?

> These are things
> that the L10n team can begin looking into correcting in advance, but
> first we will need to investigate the detailed requirements (what
> files in what format) are required to work wit hthis process.  I'll
> start looking inot it and I invite other members of the L10n community
> to begin familiarizing themselves with these tools so we can all work
> together and learn from each other (and maybe even document it on the
> wiki).

That's great. I'm am flat out today with other XO-related topics,
apologies I can't be more precise than to say that maliit.org has a
good wiki with what seems to me good documentation. Entry point is
https://wiki.maliit.org/Documentation

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions