[Localization] FYI, No Māori locale or keymaps 12.1.0 XO-1.75

Nicholas independentcommercial at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:30:02 EDT 2012

Hello all,
Probably stating the obvious here but with 12.1.0 (build 18) on XO-1.75

..and running locale -a in the terminal, the files en_NZ.utf8 or
mi_NZ.utf8 are missing. They are required to compile those locales and
then use them.

Also, there is no māori keymap under /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/

I see freedesktop.org mentioned for the keymap and there is an outline
of the process to submit your own keymap here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_create_a_keyboard_layout

I've followed trmusson's approach from his webpage with some success
on my own gentoo thinkpad (actually I just hacked the keycodes to my
"map" file and gzipped it) but this is only a stop-gap measure
obviously and not a standards-based approach and it shows my own level
of competence in this area ;p

Also, this might or might not be a factor (from the 12.1.0 build page):
"updated RPM packages that are part of Fedora, the process is a little
complicated due to the fact we work with multiple architectures and
ARM is not yet a primary Fedora architecture".

This could all be premature I realise as discussion is ongoing
regarding the Aotearoa (NZ) pilot but I thought it worth mentioning.
Sorry if it has been mentioned before.

All the best, Nicholas