[Localization] Dextrose project

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:23:33 EDT 2012

Dear Localizers,

Some of you may have noticed the appearance of a new project in your
languages called Dextrose.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/dextrose/

I would like to explain what Dextrose is and why you might want to
work on translating it.

Dextrose is the name for a Sugar-derived build created by Activity
Central for their client deployments (but also openly available for
others to use).  For example, Dextrose3 is based on Glucose 0.94 with
a number of features added.  The stated goal of Activity Central is to
upstream the features they have added to address their client's needs
to the main branch of Sugar development as soon as it is feasible.

I have worked with Activity Central to create a PO file for the
Dextrose project that contains only the unique strings in the Dextrose
build (on top of the base Glucose version) so there is no overlap and
therefore no redundant translation.  Activity Central takes care of
merging the existing translations of the Glucose PO files and the
Dextrose differential PO file when they make their builds.

So why would you want to translate Dextrose PO files?  Well, these
strings are the UI for features that are likely coming soon to Sugar
as Activity Central goes through the process of submitting their
patches for consideration by the Sugar development community.  It can
be expected that most of these features will land in Sugar in one form
or another and  that the strings will not change a whole lot in the
process.

Translating Dextrose is essentially working on strings for Sugar
(before they actually land in Sugar).  When they do land, they will
land in blocks of text related to a given feature and it will be
possible to merge the already translated Dextrose strings into the
development version of Glucose where those features have landed.

As a language nears completion of Glucose, I will go ahead and add the
Dextrose project to that language.  In terms of prioritization,
(unless there is a Dextrose-using deployment in your language), I
would still suggest working on completing Fructose and Honey before
moving on to Dextrose because those activities are released at
irregular intervals and you want to get your language in for the next
build done by the activity maintainer.  The Dextrose strings will
likely appear in Glucose eventually, but after a certain delay.  If a
Dextrose string freeze is coming up, I'll ask Activity Central to
announce it on the list so you have a chance to catch up on Dextrose
strings before their release.

I hope that is clear, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Corodinator