[Localization] Should I translate commands in Calculate?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:28:15 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question in regards with translating Calculate:
>
> Should I translate commands such as add, abs, and, which you can use
> by typing "add(1,2)", etc.? Are these standard commands found in
> advanced pocket calculators? Or is it a language created by the
> author?

It is certainly a bit of a challenge.  Some of the function names you
are talking about may look like they are English, but in fact they are
another langauge entirely, a language called "mathematical notation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_notation

It is no truly universal, although it is widely used in languages with
Latin scripts.  Ther eare alternative mathematical notations used in
languages employing Arabic scripts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Arabic_mathematical_notation

It is a bit of a judgement call on some of the functions though, it
might be good to consult with a mathematician (as a bilingual in your
tongue and math).