[Localization] L10n work may be needed on glibc PO

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 21:06:54 EST 2012

Dear Sugar Labs/OLPC/eToys/AbiWord Community Localizers,

The GNU Library of C functions (glibc) is an important element of our
software stack as it is in many Linux distributions.  There is a new
release of glibc (2.17) coming out in the next few weeks.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

One of the key roles of glibc is as the home of the glibc locales that
are the means by which languages are selected in various places, like
for instance, the Sugar Control Panel.  If your language does not have
a glibc locale, I'd be happy to work with you on developing and
submitting one.  Users don't necessarily see a lot of these strings in
the UI, but it is an important community to reach to with translation
contributions.  They host their L10n work on the Translate Project
web-site:

http://translationproject.org/domain/libc.html

Please check the status of your favorite language at the link above
and follow their procedures for submitting additional L10n of
libc-2.17-pre1.pot if any more work is needed.

If your language is not represented on the libc Translate Project
site, please download and work from the POT file off-line:

http://translationproject.org/POT-files/libc-2.17-pre1.pot

If you would like to have your team working on it collaboratively over
time and would like to have temporary hosting of the libc PO file on
Pootle, let me know and I will set it up.

Warmest Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator