[Localization] update-locale script

Jakub Ratajczak jamarat at o2.pl
Tue Oct 25 18:43:00 EDT 2011

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: sugar-update-locale
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 7129 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Hi,
I got tired and frustrated with fighting with different locations for .mo files and updating them from pootle server. So I prepared script 'sugar-update-locale' to automate updating Sugar and its activities to the newest localized version. There is short info about the script below.
I think, there will be some upgrades of the script. I.e. some preinstalled activities (SoAS) like Clock or Abacus don't come with .mo files at all. It makes the script fool as it looks for existing .mo files.

BTW I stil don't see Polish language on the list of available languages on XO-1.5 11.20. Could you please help me with this? I didn't find any hint on Sugar wiki.
Best Regards,
Jakub

This script downloads the newest versions of localized strings for the
Sugar system and its activities:
- searches for all directories where sugar .mo files may exist
  (.mo files containing 'sugar' or 'olpc' or 'org.laptop' string)
- downloads .po files of requested language directly from the pootle
  server (default translate.sugarlabs.org), downloads .po files from
  'not-numbered' versions of projects (fructose, glucose)
- creates .mo files out of .po files with msgfmt tool
- stores .mo files in the appropriate direcotry (where .mo files should
  be stored)

It is aimed to be used by developers and translators to keep them
up-to-date with the current localized version of the system.

If you want to download files from 'numbered' versions of
fructose/glucose you may change the array within this script exchanging
fuctose -> fructose84 strings.
You should run this script as root.
You need have installed 'msgfmt' tool i.e. using 'yum install gettext'
(as root or sudo-ing).

The script was tested on SoAS and XO-1.5 but should work on any Sugar.

sugar-update-locale version 0.1
 1) Getting help or info about ./sugar-update-locale :
  sugar-update-locale --help   Print this message
  sugar-update-locale --info   Print info about current configuration
  sugar-update-locale --list   Print the list of known .po/.mo files (known by this
              script - you are free to modify the list)
  sugar-update-locale --find   Searches for all directories where Sugar and its activities
              .mo files are installed

 2) Running ./sugar-update-locale :
  sugar-update-locale [options]
  with following options (in that order)
  --pootle PootleURL  URL of the Pootle server (default
                      translate.sugarlabs.org)
  --lang LanguageISO  ISO code of the requested language

Example:
 sugar-update-locale --lang pt
 Fetches Portugese language content from the default pootle server