[Localization] Localization Digest, Vol 55, Issue 3

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Fri Oct 21 11:49:04 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 12:02:12PM +0200, Jakub Ratajczak wrote:
> Chris,
> Unfortunatelly the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Testing is out of date. Most directions are obsolete (i.e. using QEMU, obsolete links). History tab shows it was updated last time over 3 years ago.
>
> I tried to setup test environment for localization using the newest .iso image on an USB stick (using Fedora USB live creator). On such environment the LL_lang_pack_v2.sh script fails to run due to missing /home/olpc/ directory (I tried to use Polish).

> Beside this details I have one general comment and question:
> This is extremely difficult, especially for a non-tech person (localizer), to setup environment for testing localization. One needs to know how to switch to root (what is root?!?) or install Sugar-Jhbuild (but first install python and git), get familiar with msgfmt command-line tool, generally be able to use UNIX terminal tools and many others. Ok, I know how to do all this stuff but it's impossible to ask someone without tech background to do it. It was comment. The question is: why night build tools can't link sources with the latest version of .po (making .mo first of course) to provide up-to-date localized version for next day testing? Such version would be also available next day for other testers.
> One can still use detailed tech-description from /Localization/Testing web page if necessary.
> I don't know details and responsibilities for building process but linking the newest .po/.mo files doesn't seem to be very complicated task.

I think this process might be simplified using Sweets, i.e., the only
you need to do, being in regular GNU/Linux distribution, is:

* install PackageKit from native packages,
* install Sweets (by downloading installer and launching it),
* for regular i18n testing, enter in any X terminal:

    [LANG=<lang>] sweets <i18n-project> = <version>

that will download (and build if there is such need) glucose that is
associated with i18n-project=version, and will run it in emulator mode
with all activities installed (according to i18n-project=version).

Will it make sense for you?

--
Aleksey