[Localization] i18n assistance needed - batti

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:35:40 EDT 2011

Dear OLPC / Sugar devels,

A package called batti (batti-0.3.8-1.fc14.noarch) is included in both
the XO 1.5 and XO-1 11.2.0 builds, but unfortunately it is lacking in
internationalization and it should be a simple matter for one of our
developers to submit corrections  on behalf the Translation Team.

Batti is used to report on battery status (I think on the GNOME boot side):
http://build.laptop.org/11.2.0/os23/xo-1/os23.packages.txt
http://code.google.com/p/batti-gtk/

I filed this bug upstream:

"Improve internationalization of batti"
http://code.google.com/p/batti-gtk/issues/detail?id=9

If you have a handle on using gettext plurals properly, it should be
fairly simple to clone the repo on gitorious and make the needed
corrections, then submitting a merge request.  A few strings are also
not included in the POT file that probably should be made available
for localization.

https://gitorious.org/batti

Use getextplurals for i18n
https://gitorious.org/batti/batti/blobs/master/src/Battery.py
Lines 184 - 195

More info on gettext plurals
http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/gettext/Plural-forms.html

Missing gettext on strings below:

https://gitorious.org/batti/batti/blobs/master/src/BatteryMonitor.py
Lines 45 - 57

https://gitorious.org/batti/batti/blobs/master/src/Constants.py
Line 22

http://gitorious.org/batti/batti/blobs/master/src/Notificator.py
Line 87

http://gitorious.org/batti/batti/blobs/master/batti
Lines 27, 36, 43

Making these corrections upstream will result in improvments in the
localization status of the 11.2.0 build.  Please consider taking a few
moments to submit the needed corrections to the upstream for the
benefit of all.  I will follow up to see that the strings get
localized into more than the small handful of languages it currently
covers, but it would be best if the i18n was improved first.

Regards,