[Localization] Status of AbiWord Pootle hosting

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 18:18:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Keith BOWES <zooplah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Je 2011-Jun-03 je 00:06, Chris Leonard skribis:
>>
>> Italian and Korean need to be converted to UTF-8 before upload, I will
>> work on that.
> Shouldn't iconv handle that easily?

Just a matter of time, I left these to last, but I will get them soon.
 Things have been busy. :-)

>> de-CH         Merge?
> I'd vote no.  Swiss German is very different from the other forms of
> German.

I was aware that Switzerdeutsch is quite distinct, I can create a new
language variant for de_CH and ask our OLPC-CH people to contribute.

>> es_MX         Merge?
>>
>> en-US en-AU ,en-CA en-IE      Merge?
> I'd vote yes to both of these.

We have en_US and en_GB, also which should cover the major
orthographic variants, having Canadian, Australian and Irish
variations seem a little overboard.  We do have en_ZA, but it is
mostly untouched and I may ask our people about dropping it.

We use lang-es for all Spanish (by choice of our large Spnaish user
base), There are few cultural terms (or culinary terms) that would
make branching AbiWord significant.  I've been going through the es_ES
and es_MX extensively and the variation is only that you would
associate with different individual localizers (as far as I can tell)
and not really meaningful differences in regional dialect.

However I will seek input from those who have submitted the PO files
and not make any decisions by fiat.