[Localization] Indigenous language L10n processes

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sun Jul 24 21:41:28 EDT 2011

On Sun, July 24, 2011 1:51 am, Chris Leonard wrote:
> Dear Localization Community,
>
> There are a variety of methods for facilitating third language
> localization via an intermediate (non-English) language.  This is an
> important process for South American indigenous languages via Spanish
> (Aymara, Quechua, Nahuatl, Tzotzil, Huastec / Tének, etc.) as well as
> Francophone Africa and other circumstances where a non-English
> majority lingua franca overlaps an indigenous language.

I can see a future need for

* Spanish-->Catalan

* Portuguese-->languages of Brazil and some countries in Africa

* Russian-->languages of former Soviet Republics

* Chinese-->many minority languages in China

* Traditional Chinese<-->Simplified Chinese

This last cannot be done using simple character substitution tables, due
to many-one and one-many mappings, and to differences in terminology for
almost everything since the 1949 split between the usage areas,
particularly in computing.

I don't know whether Dutch is still an important intermediate language in
former Dutch colonies. There are clearly other minority languages in Asian
countries such as Thailand, Laos, Burma, and others that will benefit from
this approach.