[Localization] Clock voice - Spanish

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:45:53 EDT 2011

Have any of our Spanish speaking localizers experimented with the two
variations of the e-speak voice in Spanish?

For instance, in Clock, this line sets the voice variant that is used
by the e-speak module that is called.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/es/honey/clock.po?item=16&view_mode=translate

According to the e-speak languages page referenced in the developer's
comment for that string:

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html

There are two variants of the Spanish voice:

es  Spanish
    Spanish has good spelling rules, so it should be OK.

es-la  Spanish - Latin America
    This contains a few changes from es, notably the pronunciation of
"z","ce","ci".

>From having had both Castillian and Argentine Spanish teachers in
high-school, I know there can be quite a difference in these sounds.
I was wondering if  anyone had checked to see if the "es-la" variant
was perhaps a better choice for Sugar Labs / OLPC's purposes (large
South American deployments)

BTW, I'm not interested in splitting our lang-es project, I think it
is great that we keep only one set of PO files, but for a speaking
application, I wonder if the es-la e-speak voice might not sound
better.

Abrazos,