[Localization] [Olpc-sysadmin] Adding Local Language & Keyboard Layout

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 12:17:49 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Xahid <zahid.butt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the reply,
> & Thanks Chris for pointing out about localization list,
> I already read about information about keyboard layout and xkb, but didn't
> understand if i need to rebuild the Sugar or if the fonts are already
> present.
>
> Regards,
> Xahid

Xahid,

I suspect it might be necessary for you to spin a new build using the
OSBuilder toolchain.  By default, the OLPC signed images (e.g. release
11.3.0, build 883)  have a limited set of supported languages (those
pertaining to major deployments).  The reason for this is the limited
storage available on the XO-1.

One way to think of the OLPC images as demonstration tools for the new
technology baseline included, not as being universally applicable to
all languages (because the size of all of that language support would
make them too large).

The OSBuilder toolchain simplifies the task of spinning a new
"version" or "point-release" of an OLPC baseline release that is
customized to only include the languages and fonts needed and also
allowing for customization of the activities and localized content
included.

Does that help clarify your question?