[Localization] Tux Paint for the XO

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Mar 29 06:54:46 EDT 2010

To: OLPC Localization list
Cc: Aleksey Lim and Tom van Overbeek (XO TuxPaint), Bill Kendrick (TuxPaint upstream)

Thanks for the information on the status of the TuxPaint XO activity. :)

On 28/03/2010, at 7:18 AM, Ton van Overbeek wrote:

> On 3/27/10 15:03 , Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> .... <snip> ....
>> tvoverbeek (CCed) was wiling to help with sugarizing TuxPaint
>> (http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/887) but looks like there wasn't
>> progress.
>>
>> Since I'm currently focusing on sugarizing, I'll pick this up
>> (it would be primarily save-to-journal feature).
>>

>>> The Sugar Labs version does not appear to have been set up for localization
>>> yet, but all of the necessary elements are there to host that versions PO
>>> files within the Sugar Labs / OLPC Pootle server.  As you are looking to
>>> take on the maintenance of localization for the original Tux Paint package,
>>> you would be in a unique position to work with alsroot to leverage the
>>> localization effort across both the original and the Sugar versions of Tux
>>> Paint.
>>>
>>> I am not sure how much the two versions differ.
>>>
>> Current version of ASLO is upstream 0.9.20 with print feature disabled.
>>     ...<snip>  ...
>>
> Still very busy with moving from the US to Europe.
>
> Please go ahead with sugarizing Tux-Paint.
> What needs to be considered is the large installed XO-1 base, i.e. the interface to the journal
> has to support the different datastore formats in Sugar 0.82 - 0.88.
>
> Localization works out of the box with the localization features in the standard tuxpaint
> distribution. In fact the reason I started with tuxpaint on the XO-1 was to get a Dutch version
> for my grandson.

So we don't need to worry about separate localization files for XO TuxPaint? That certainly simplifies things. With the post-Decathlon effort on Pootle, we hope to get TuxPaint translated into more languages, and more consistently updated. I'm glad that will also benefit OLPC users.

> In the coming months I probably have some more time to spend on Sugar and the XO.
> So, please keep me in the loop, if possible.

OK. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team