[Localization] Vietnamese input not working fully on the XO

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 15 14:07:52 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:
> To: OLPC localization list
> Cc: Marina and Nancie, OLPC Vietnam
> Marina sent this:
>
> Begin forwarded message [the numbers refer to the dead key which applies the
> accent]:
>
> I checked all letters and there are other letters that do not work:
> 1. So the "hook above" = 6 does not work at all with any letters, not just
> letter "a".
> 2. 7 [tilde above] does not work with "e".
> 3. 9 [dot under] does not work with any letters.
> 4. I still can not type numbers or dollar sign. "=" Sign shows wiered not
> readable in any language.
> Please forward it to the local team. Thanks.
>
> For background:
> Vietnamese keyboard layouts use "dead" keys (pressed before or after the
> vowel) to add accents to vowels: the standard vowels, including "y", and six
> vowels already bearing accents. 12 base vowels × 6 accent states means
> Vietnamese has 72 vowels. To use a Vietnamese keyboard layout (including
> Unicode hex refs):
> 1 = ă (0xC483)
> 2 = â (0xC3A2)
> 3 = ê (0xC3AA)
> 4 = ô (0xC3B4)
> 5 = added grave accent (dấu huyền)
> 6 = added hook above (dấu hỏi)
> 7 = added tilde above (dấu ngã)
> 8 = added acute accent (dấu sắc)
> 9 = added dot under (dấu nặng)
> 10 = đ (0xE282AB)
> ) = Đ (0xC490)
> = = ₫ (0xE282AB)
> [ = ư (0xC6B0)
> ] = ơ (0xC6A1)
> Marina's message is not good news. However, it's not entirely unexpected. :S
> Vietnamese is a test case for Unicode support, because of its combined
> diacritics and its widely scattered range on the Unicode plane. Also, it's
> an ideographic CJK language roughly translated into a Roman alphabet. If
> your software supports Vietnamese, you have very robust Unicode support: the
> real deal.

Hi Clytie,

I can get the characters for 6, 7 and 9 in another keyboard layout, which means
that something is merely wrong in the keyboard layout you are using
for Vietnamese
on the OLPC.

To frame the issue, it is more like a case of not having the keyboard
layout tested early.

Technical background: I do not know whether Vietnamese uses 'SCIM' or 'GTK+ IM'
on the OLPC. Sayamindu?
1. If the OLPC uses 'SCIM', then you need to fix the SCIM layout for Vietnamese.
2. If the OLPC uses 'GTK+ IM', then those characters for cases 6, 7, 9
are verified to work,
so again it is a case of fixing the keyboard layout from XOrg. The
keyboard layout file
for Vietnamese is /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/vn

Simos