[Localization] Translations not implemented in the field

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Thu Mar 4 06:23:39 EST 2010

Hi everyone :)

I've been corresponding with some of the staff of OLPC Vietnam. They put in a lot of effort, and I'm grateful for what they do to help kids learn.

However, I've had some odd responses from these contacts. First, an OLPC project teacher in Saigon told me she had no idea the XO could input or display Vietnamese (see my previous post: "Language input on XO"). Now I hear from an OLPC project managet in the North:

>  I had no idea these translations existed. There is definitely a communications gap between Sugarlabs and the OLPC volunteer community, especially when the volunteers are from a non-technical background like I am.

"these translations" are the Vietnamese translations of Sugar etc., the very ones I have spent so many hours creating.

WTF?

Localizations should be implemented before deployment of the XOs, or at the very least, project staff should have an instruction sheet showing how to enable and use existing localizations.

I hate to say it, but how much of our work isn't getting used out there?

And what can we do about it?

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team