[Localization] eToys Vietnamese completed (all of it, even the missing bit)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 22 07:15:01 EDT 2010

On 22.04.2010, at 12:10, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> <exhausted panting>
>
> Yup, it's finally finished.

Yay! Thank you so much!

> All of it. The whole file, including the part that went missing: 4412 strings! That's a nearly 800 KB text file. I think this might be the largest single PO file I've translated.
>
> I'm also going to log a comprehensive bug report on the quality of the strings in etoys.po. Hopefully, that will help translation in the future. There were persistent problems with split strings, lack of placeholders, use of multiple backslashes for interface spacing, line-breaks and something peculiar I couldn't work out, inconsistent capitalization, a severe lack of initial capital letters and final punctuation, missing articles, and lack of context, nevermind a lot of typos and grammatic errors.

It's great you posted your detailed notes to our tracker. All: if you have additions, please add them to Clytie's report:

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-695

The only apology I have for this is that we started out with an already complex system and added translation support for it. As you noticed, Etoys is much deeper than anything else on the XO, what you see in the UI is just the surface. It has a complete programming environment hidden (but still accessible) below the kids interface. Some of the strings in there are 30 years old - it is built on Smalltalk, the
software developed in the 1970s in anticipation of the Dynabook ("A Personal Computer for Children of All Ages"), which OLPC tried to make reality:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Dynabook

The only feasible approach to making this system translatable at all was to almost mechanically mark all strings, and export them. Cleaning them up is an even bigger task, and as you can imagine, a rather "boring" one. Since Etoys [note the new preferred spelling ;) ] is developed only by volunteers currently, they tend to pick other issues to work on ... we'd be *very* happy though if someone took this on. We're also changing our processes to make contributing easier. We'll get there, eventually ;)

> I've uploaded the completed translation onto Pootle (overwrite). I tried to commit it, but got the error:
>
>> Failed to commit file: [GIT] pull failed (['git', '--git-dir', '/var/lib/pootle/checkouts/etoys/.git', 'pull']): error: Entry 'Content.revision' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
>
> Looks like the etoys.pot file has been updated. Sayamindu, would you please sort that out, if you have time?
>
> Also, can I get a RSS feed for changes to this file from Pootle, or do I need to get one from the eToys repo? (If so, where is it, please?)

Pootle's rss feed for the pot file seems to be empty:

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/templates/etoys/

But the repo has a feed that works:

http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/etoys/tree/po/templates/etoys.pot

Direct feed URL:

http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/etoys/atom/po/templates/etoys.pot?h=master

It's not too informative as there seem to be no diffs in the feed, but at least you'll know something changed.

- Bert -