[Localization] Vietnamese keyboard

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Apr 7 03:03:02 EDT 2010

To: Marina (OLPC project worker, Hà Nội), OLPC Localization list

Hi everyone :)

Marina has asked me:

On 07/04/2010, at 9:51 AM, Marina wrote:

> Do you know if anyone is working on fixing the keyboard symbols in Vietnamese on the XOs?
> It is very important, as children can not type in their own language right now, which makes it difficult.

Is there any progress on this issue? On 2010-03-16, Simos Xenitellis commented:

> I can get the characters for 6, 7 and 9 in another keyboard layout, which means
> that something is merely wrong in the keyboard layout you are using
> for Vietnamese
> on the OLPC.
>
> To frame the issue, it is more like a case of not having the keyboard
> layout tested early.
>
> Technical background: I do not know whether Vietnamese uses 'SCIM' or 'GTK+ IM'
> on the OLPC. Sayamindu?
> 1. If the OLPC uses 'SCIM', then you need to fix the SCIM layout for Vietnamese.
> 2. If the OLPC uses 'GTK+ IM', then those characters for cases 6, 7, 9
> are verified to work,
> so again it is a case of fixing the keyboard layout from XOrg. The
> keyboard layout file
> for Vietnamese is /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/vn

but nobody responded. Sayamindu, sorry to bother you with yet another question, but can you answer Simos' query? Can you try fixing the layout if it's GTK?

I had to amend the X11 layout on OSX to enable dead-key use in inputting Vietnamese, so the consequent wiki article might be useful:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/X11Keymaps

Nancie has told me I will be receiving a loan XO so I can help, but so far I haven't received any formal notification (nor the machine itself), so I feel like someone's bleeding next to me, and all I can do is tell them where to buy bandages in the next town. :(

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team