[Localization] Tuvalu

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 10:47:28 EDT 2009

David,

It is the same group managing the L10n process, we just changed servers /
URLs.  As before, an e-mail to this list will generally get things taken
care of although filing a Trac ticket (setting the component to
"localization") is probably a good idea.

Trac is located here: http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/

and I've taken the liberty of filing the ticket and adding you as a CC: on
it so you will get notifications of it's progress.

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1530

For setting up a new language, there are a few additional pieces of
information that are important.  We definitely need to create a simple set
of directions for a new language request on the wiki, but for now, I'll just
mention a few points for you to follow-up on, either on the list or on the
Trac ticket.

1) I'll assume that there are no special font/keyboard issues that will need
to be addressed to set up the locale information, but Sayamindu might have
some follow-up questions on that.  This becomes important later on when
translations exist so that users can set their language environment to use
the newly translated strings.  Other needed set-up information includes the
ISO code for the language, which in this case is "tvl".

2) It is important that someone (someone already registered on the pootle
server) be named as the language administrator.  Typically this is a native
language speaker that will review files before committing them and also
helps to lead efforts to complete the translation.  For now, we can name you
as the language administrator if you are registered in Pootle and add other
language administrators later.

3) Pootle requires some information about how to handle plural forms for a
new language.  In particular, the number of plural forms and the formula
(plural equation) for determining when to use each plural form.  Take a look
at the page linked below and you'll see what sort of information that is.
Pootle uses this to offer an appropriate number of entry fields for plural
forms if the code was well written to account for this concept (a process
called internationalization or i18n).

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l10n/pluralforms

That ought to get things started, refinements can be made latter on.

cjl