[Localization] Ensuring the correct encoding for PO files

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:26:42 EST 2009

Hi,
I noticed that msgfmt was spewing forth errors for a few of the PO
files in the Honey project. It turns out that the encoding of those
files was latin1, while the files were themselves marked as either
ASCII or UTF-8. Most text editors and PO editors today use UTF-8 by
default, and I think that the most likely explanation is these were
translated offline, and then mailed to the language team coordinator,
who uploaded it, and there are mailing systems which are known to mess
up the encoding.
To workaround this, I would recommend that you compress the file first
and then send it via mail.
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--