[Localization] [Sugar-devel] Documentation [WAS: Re: Help activity]

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Thu May 28 15:23:18 EDT 2009

2009/5/28 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>

> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 21:47, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > [Jumping into the discussion midway]:
> >
> > From an l10n point of view, I would highly recommend adopting (and
> > perhaps extending) the GNOME documentation framework. It is docbook
> > based, which is a format pretty easy to pick up (and I believe
> > OpenOffice.org can also export to docbook - though I have never tried
> > it out).
>
> Well, I think it was a decision by the people who wrote the manual to
> use floss manuals, I guess it would be up to them which tool they use.
> And in the same way, translators would choose the tools that best suit
> them. I think that floss manuals has already tools for translation and
> also think that people have worked on a translation to spanish, Maybe
> we should ask to those people which was their experience with the
> floss manuals tool set?

We already have an export-to-XHTML option with FLOSS Manuals, and I think a
while ago there was talk of adding a docbook export function as well. I was
preparing a script to automate the creation of Debian .debs from those
dumps, but it got dropped by the wayside as it seemed that a docbook export
option was not forthcoming. CCing the FLOSS Manuals discussion list for
their take.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc