[Localization] Tamil localization

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:29:32 EDT 2009

I thank everybody who is working on Tamil for Sri Lanka. I worked with
one of the Simputer companies for some time, when they were one of the
few offering Tamil on Linux.

I am trying to contact Sarvodaya.org to see if they can put some more
human resources into this, and to talk about village needs for
electricity and Internet, among other things. They are in more than
half of the villages of Sri Lanka, including many in the Tamil region.
Their program includes building schools, clinics, and roads, and
creating village banks. For several years they have had the idea of
bringing computers to the villages, but they were of course
interrupted by the tsunami.

Earth Treasury would also like to work on Free Digital Textbooks for
any language community.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Deependra Ariyadewa <deep at myperl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Deependra Ariyadewa <deep at myperl.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Sri Lanka OLPC pilot project is about to begin. There are schools those
>> > use
>> > Tamil as the main Language in the pilot project therefore we have to
>> > speed
>> > up the Tamil translation project.
>> >
>> > We have a Tamil translation team formed in University of Colombo School
>> > of
>> > computing Sri Lanka.
>> >
>> > Please give proper rights to do Tamil localization for the following
>> > pootle
>> > users.
>> >
>> > deep kaleel raveendra1972 Nimalan kaan73
>> >

>> Sounds good :). Thanks for jumping in. I will be creating the
>> projects. However before that, could you tell me
>>
>> a) Are you going to use the 8.2.1 release ?
>
> I am not sure about the sugar version in the latest OLPC shipment. All the
> 1000 machines still with Ministry of Education.
>>
>> b) One of you will need to be administrator. Who will be the admin ?
>> Can I have his/her username please
>
> kaleel is the lead of the University of Colombo School of Computing Tamil
> Localization team. Kaleel's Pootle user name is " kaleel ".
>>

>> Also, if you haven't done so, please log into Pootle and add Tamil to
>> the list of languages in your options page.
>
> All the Tamil localizatoin team has added the Tamil as a language in to
> their account.
>
> Team Memebers  pootle user names. [ deep, kaleel, raveendra1972, Nimalan,
> kaan73]
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deependra.
>

>> Thanks