[Localization] font problem reported Re: [Olpc-uruguay] instalación de nuevas fuentes

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 15:16:21 EDT 2009

Hi Nicolas,

2009/3/30 Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org>:
> Yama Ploskonka wrote:
>> apparently some of the installed fonts do not have 'ñ'
>>
>> The question originally was on how to install new fonts, but actually
>> has to do with the 'ñ' issue.  I wonder how we are dealing with other
>> languages? Ç, of course all sorts of accents...
>
> Dejavu LGC and Abyssinica SIL - shipping in the builds - have for:
> U+00F1 LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH TILDE
> U+00D1 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH TILDE
> U+00C7 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CEDILLA

Thanks for looking into this. I believe the Dejavu fonts have a pretty
good coverage.

> The trouble for other fonts is that many fonts designers are still not
> taking into account the needs for extended character sets. Thankfully
> there are various quality open fonts with wide Unicode coverage *and*
> suitable licensing for OLPC and Sugar now available.
>
> The current selection of fonts should be reviewed more closely according
> to deployment target needs: who's taking care of that currently at OLPC
> and Sugar?

Normally - I would be responsible for that. We tend to ask the
deployments in general, as well as gather feedback from the community
in general for newer scripts we are supposed to handle. However, bug
reports are more than welcome :-)

Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta