[Localization] pilot school project - Xanthi, Greece

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:07:05 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Cris<canderson at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> /etc/sysconfig/keyboard should look something like this:
>>
>> KEYTABLE="us"
>> XKB_MODLE="olpc"
>> XKB_LAYOUT="us,gr"
>> XKB_VARIANT="olpc2,olpc"
>>
>> The OLPC variants should allow you to switch between US and GR by
>> hitting the language key on the far right of the keyboard.
>>
>> -walter
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM, pavlos
>> hatzopoulos<phatzopoulos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> we just received 30 XO-1s for the Xanthi pilot project that starts in
>>> September 2009 at a minority school in Northern East, Greece.
>>>
>>> We encountered 2 main problems in the first testing that we did:
>>>
>>> - although we changed to the Greek language from the control panel and
>>> updated online all the XOs, it was impossible to switch to the Greek
>>> character keyboard using any of the shortcuts.
>>>
>>> ...is there a roadmap on this? (some more knowledgable people than me tried
>>> to change some root files, but the applied changes weren't saved after
>>> rebooting)
>>>
>>> - the olpc-mesh network experienced problems co-existing with a non-mesh
>>> wireless network that we used for internet access. XOs were still connected
>>> to one another but we couldn't perform any of the collaborative activities.
>>>
>>> ...any roadmap on how to circumvent this problem?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> pavlos

>> --
>> Walter Bender
>> Sugar Labs
>> http://www.sugarlabs.org
>>

> Has this fix been changed so that the changes stay after
> reflashing/updating the system?  In my experience, this fix works very
> well, but changes made to the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard file will be
> overwritten if the machine's os is updated.  Am I wrong on this?

Hi Cris,
The data is read from the manufacturing-data: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mfg-data

Manufacturing data can be changed - though it will require access to a
developer key: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Checking_the_Layout_configuration#Changing_mfg_data_.28with_q2c27a_only.29

Martin and I have been working on a keyboard layout selector section
in the control panel (which will override mfg-data), and I think that
will appear in the next major release of Sugar.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta